Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181304 - 05/18/06 02:07 PM SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, I am sending you the SMF.
Please record it for us..Please tweak it and do what ever you can to make it the best.
Then prove it to us by posting the link.
I am not as optimistic as you about the results..

Ok Fran, as per your request: Synthzone member, Rattley (Charley), re-assigned instruments to Tyros2 voices. I then adjusted effects volume levels slightly & played back the SMF on Tyros2, recording directly to the Tyros2 HD, in stereo.

Honky Tonk (Commerical SMF) - Played back on Tyros2

Honk Tonk (Commercial SMF) - Played back on G1000

Honky Tonk - recorded by Vince Andreone on Tyros version

Though Vince's version doesn't sound exactly like Doggett, I personally appreciated his version "most" because it showcases him actually PLAYING his rendition, and not simply a store bought 'copy' (simulated note for note) of Bill Doggett's.

Ok, which version sounds best to the rest of you.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-18-2006).]

#181305 - 05/18/06 04:51 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott it is not terrible, but no thanks..There is still no clarity or separation of sound..No excuses now that it is stereo[and tweaked]..It has a sustaining[annoying ] characteristic through out the song..Still sounds like I am listening from another room..

Absolutely,,NO CIGAR!!!

I place it tied for 5th, with the PA80[maybe slightly behind the PA80]..

SMF playback is still not a Yamaha strenght[never was]..

Maybe you should definately stay in arranger play..

You may think I am a bit harsh, but after your build up and request of a head to head opinion...you got it!!

#181306 - 05/18/06 05:49 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I'm curious to hear it. However, rapidshare is the bane of blind people worldwide due to that most horrific "please enter the text of the image" feature that they so callously and inconsiderately utilize.

#181307 - 05/18/06 06:06 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

I can email to you[8 megs]..Can your mailbox assept it?

#181308 - 05/18/06 06:17 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Being a Yammie man I hate to admit I agree with Fran.
I think a couple of individual instruments sound better, more modern?, on the tyros but overall the mix is muddy. the G1000 jumps out at you.

#181309 - 05/18/06 07:07 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok Fran, I merely recorded the commercial SMF you sent me, 'as a favor' to you to satsify your email request. As far as any Tyros2 midi file 'build up' I made goes, it was delivered in 'humorous' (note the accompanying that statement) response to which I felt a rather flippant remark you made to FAEbGBD (Rory Hoffman) that he somehow needed an 'attitude' adjustment?! Anyway, to be honest, I'm not overly impressed with either the G1000 or Tyros2 versions, as the SMF itself merely attempts to imitate (simulate) note for note, the original recording. If the audience really wants to hear the cover version, give them the REAL THING (original CD cut) with orginal artist playing & singing instead.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Maybe you should definately stay in arranger play.

You're right. I'm sticking to playing live in arranger keyboard mode and playing the music: 'my way'. It certainly works for me. Fran, if playing commercial smfs work better for you, great! Peace. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-18-2006).]

#181310 - 05/18/06 07:58 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
First let me preface this by saying that, as one who uses BOTH SMFs AND arranger styles during a gig, I do not mean to offend anyone with any of the following comments ... that being said ...

As many have said here, there is room enough for ALL of us, using WHATEVER means we want, to satisfy our clients and ourselves ...

I liken Scott using the arranger mode to when I play a tune using the arranger styles(not that I have his talent) -- I feel like I am back in the days of the band in NY - playing the top tunes - OUR way ... when using a SMF, I feel more like a DJ, spinning the original record, except that I am playing and singing over the backing track, which of course personalizes it to a degree ...
Truth is ... I would MUCH rather be working with the guys in the band again ...
t.

#181311 - 05/18/06 08:31 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Scott, as you recall, the original concept of my post "Newer is not always better"..was to illustrate exactly that..
It was not to pit the G1000 against the Tyros2. Although that was an old compared to new, that I think showed favorable for the old..

That particular SMF was a random pick, trying to isolate sax parts, as suggested by Gary[Doggett tune]..

As it turned out to be interesting, because Donny, AJ, and Theodore contributed..and it gave a chance to hear and compare other sound sources I am interested in purchasing.

I also enjoyed hearing versions from the "old" Casio MZ2000, which also faired well against the new[ new being, Tyros2, Bandstand, Hypersonic2, and SGM180].
I think the "OLD" guys G1000, MZ2000 and PA80, showed well..
This was my intentions for the initial post..We ran off course a little..no problems, just interesting side notes and findings.
It is alright to disagree, that is why we are called individuals..

I don't quite understand how you can not be impressed with the G1000 and other playback recordings of the Doggett file, but that is your choice[ I gather mostly because you dislike SMF[?}.

I was hoping you and other SZ members would check out the G1000 demos I uploaded...Maybe these can show that the Old can definitely compete with the new "Big Time"..

#181312 - 05/18/06 08:44 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Fran Honestly.......for me its really the key features & navagational technology of the new versus the old, having as many ON BOARD nessesities "FOR ME" to perform is what Im interested in be it old or new .....as we all can see by this A/B testing that the sounds are not so much different thru the years with some exceptions as with the unique Mega/SA sounds etc, etc,

#181313 - 05/18/06 09:56 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One of the big problems with arranger play (especially now even Roland have dropped the Chord Sequencer and no-one else has one either) is......... how the hell do you use the bend lever to accurately imitate a sax (or just about any other expressive sound) when your left hand is permanently tied up playing the friggin' chords??

You either have to spend your time bouncing back and forth between playing the chords and dashing back to the bend lever (and forget about a 'scoop' or 'fall' at a chord boundary) or basically just give up on the only technique that can make a keyboard actually sound like a real horn instead of some wanky stylophone sound.

This is why I prefer to use SMFs for a lot of my performances........ I just CANNOT play a horn sound (or pedal steel or lead guitar or minimoog synth or - well, you get the picture) without using the bend lever. I am addicted to it!

And if you would all scream loud enough at your arranger's manufacturers to get the Roland Chord Sequencer idea incorporated into your keyboard, well, you would too!

BTW, I am STILL at a loss to understand why you would want to use a computer or laptop to play MIDI files into Bandstand or whatever, with ALL it's problems, when, for a fraction of the price, you can pick up a used M-GS64 or SC880Pro module and sound better and be more reliable???

The bleeding edge of technology is cool, but I wouldn't want to stake my job on it working without a single glitch. Do you.............??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online